Who We Are
The Hub for Multilingual Education and Literacies (HuMEL) is a research and development centre that produces world class knowledge on the use of more than one language for accessing knowledge and affirming learners’ identities, which are varied, diverse and multi-layered.
It is based at the Wits School of Education, University of the Witwatersrand and it has become a second home for distinguished researchers, world leading scholars, teachers and postgraduate students from many parts of the world. Known for its stance that deeper levels of thinking and identity development can be enhanced through strategic use of multiple languages and literacies that students bring with them to class, HuMEL has a multi-pronged approach that includes:
- High quality research
- Community and stakeholder empowerment
- Advocacy on the value of multilingualism in the 21st Century
- Multilingual material and tutorial development
- In-service teacher development
Vision & Mission
To become a leading hub of excellence in multilingual education and literacies. We aim to enhance access to knowledge and to foster the social (identity) and linguistic (multilingualism) development for students across the learning spectrum.
Our work is grounded on three pillars:
- innovative research on multilingual education and literacies;
- empowerment of schooling communities and families for learners’ social, linguistic, and educational development;
- public awareness on the value of multilingual education in the21st century.